7/26/10

Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

I was so excited today when my new Country Living magazine arrived in the mail! I love to get magazines...it's like a little gift every month just for me! 
I was loving all the new pictures and then I came to the crafty section of the magazine where they show you how to make cool stuff. Now I am the kind of person that when I see something I love and I can make it on top of that, I just have to do it right then!

Which brings me to this little project I tackled tonight after dinner. It is the mason jar soap dispenser which was featured in the magazine.

This is my kitchen sink
 I can't stand the ugly soap containers sitting on the counter! I hate it! I have even tried keeping them under the sink but that doesn't work because then it's just inconvenient and they end up in the same spot by the end of the day. 

After I read their instructions on the how-to's I went and got my supplies:

 You can't see it that well in this picture but I used the biggest drill bit I had so the widest part of the soap dispenser would fit.
 I was unaware as I was drilling that the top of the jar has a piece of ceramic glass attached to it and the drill wasn't going through it. I put a nail in the drilled hole and  hammered the rest of the glass out. 
 Here it is ready for the soap dispenser which I also hammered all the way in to the hole. It was a little snug at first but fit perfectly in the end.

Now the soap

So much better!
 
I'm so happy that I don't have to look at those ugly bottles on my counter anymore and I think this idea is such a great one considering I have about 50 more of these jars under my stairs! Thanks to the last lady who lived here! 


  I guess if you love this idea you should totally do it or you can just buy one here.  
Either way, it's much better than ugly, plastic containers sitting out on your counter for everyone to see!
But that's just me.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have any mason jars... How about another give-a-way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I am late to the party, but this is really an excellent idea! I am going to make some for gifts, as well as myself. I think the newer mason jars may not have the glass piece.

    ~Ilsa

    ReplyDelete