8/3/10

Anthropologie Inspired Rose Headband

We are back from our long weekend away and I have been itching to make something fun! I had a few orders to get to once I got back, and now that they are finished and out the door it is time for something creative. 
I was thinking to myself, with all this rain, what a perfect day for a "crafternoon" ( I just love that phrase) and after a little window shopping on line, I found this headband over at my most favorite of shops...Anthropologie. I just can't get enough of all their gorgeous items!
I love it, but with a $32 price tag (holy smokes!) I thought "yeah I can make that" and so I did! I also made it in to a tutorial for all of you. 

Lets get started...
Here is what you need to get started.  You will also want some dark colored felt and some Fray Stop. If you don't have Fray Stop, not to worry, it's not crucial to making this.

 
measure your headband 

Now you are going to cut your fabric in to a strip 4 times the length of the head band and about 1/2" wide. This fabric will wrap around the headband to cover it.
   
Start by hot gluing the end of your headband and then begin to wrap the fabric strip around the end.


Keep wrapping and gluing the top of the headband as you go. This will keep the fabric in place as you work your way around the band.
 
 Here is your finished band. As you can see the denim frayed as I worked it around the band. This is where the Fray Stop comes in ( i will get to that in a minute) but like I said before, if you don't have any then just cut off those loose threads. No biggie!


Here are my fabric strips for the roses. I cut mine in widths of small, medium and large to get the look I was going for. If you want yours to look exactly like the Anthropolgie one, you will need to have all three of the strips the same width. Mine ranged in sizes from 1/2", 1", 1 1/2 " in width to about 40'' in length.


Start by twisting the end of your fabric

As you twist the fabric, put a dab of glue on it here and there so that it stays put and starts to form the center of your rose.
 
It should start to look like this...continue to work the fabric around the center, keep the fabric taught as you wrap, until you reach the end of the strip.

Finish by gluing the end to the underneath of the rose

 
Finally...we are at the point where (If you have it) spray your roses and headband with the Fray Stop. This will keep your fabric from continuing to fray. 
*Fray Stop can be found at Hancock Fabrics *


Glue your roses to the headband. I started with the largest at the top and worked my way down to the smallest. Make sure you check where you want the top rose to go before you glue it on. If you glue it up to high it won't look as cute when you put it on. Try to keep it more to one side of the band not at the top center.


Now take your felt and cut it in to circles slightly smaller than your roses. You are going to glue them to the underside of the headband ( I suggest putting the glue on the felt and NOT the rose) this will secure your rose to the headband and make the finished look that much cleaner.


Here is your finished headband!! Obviously, it isn't the exact replica of the one from Anthropologie but it's close and it wasn't $32.00!


Do you Love it??  Let me know because I'm giving it away!
Yes it's a New Giveaway!!! 
To enter just leave a comment about the tutorial or just about the headband. You must be a follower to win so if you aren't one already, go ahead and start! The winner will be chosen on  August 14th at 12am Central time.
Good Luck!

39 comments:

  1. I love it! I just saw those at anthro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it...and agree that it is just as cute as the Anthro headband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Thanks so much for the "how to" and I would love a chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. super. i hope i win because hot glue scares me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have demystified "making rosettes" for me! I appreciated all the pictures around this step--they don't look too difficult but I haven't tried them yet. Maybe that can be my project for the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the denim! Thanks for sharing and the chance to win :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love it!!! Hoping to win :)
    Lucie (LAupperlee@sheppardpratt.org)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool!!!! I'm gunna make one for daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time to your page...great tutorial, Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yes...I would love to win this!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love it! If I don't win yours, I'm making one myself! I have some fabulous turquoise denim-weight fabric that would be perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looove this headband! The best part is that it looks so similiar to the Anthropologie one at a fraction of the price! I found you on One Pretty Thing and I am now a follower!

    Jennifer.Powell06(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This tutorial is adorable!!! I am going to try it out with corduroy....

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love it! the tutorial is really easy to follow, going to make one myself i think!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So so cute!!!! I think I might try this! Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. While I don't wear headbands with my short, thick hair, I DO have two tween granddaughters and this would be esp great for either of them.

    Thanks for doing the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know if I'm talented enough to pull this off, but I might try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am going to try this one. I am a headband girl and love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it, and I've been dying to find a good tute to try! Thanks for the chance and the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for your tutorial, Love it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tutorial, I love the finished look!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made something similar to wear at my brother's wedding. I thought it was a unique idea, no idea it was anthropologie worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute! Can't wait to try this one! And love that the "poke-y" lil' teeth are covered by the denim...may actually get the girls to wear this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. ooooh, love it! Thanks for the tute AND the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  25. my daughter will love this! thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just started to make this tonight but ran out of glue sticks. . .I would love to have yours instead!!! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just love this! I'm adding this to my crafty international linking party, and would love to see you at the next party on Sunday. All the best and thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your followers are awesome and so are you!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the tutorial. Maybe when the kids get back to school I can try it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just started following you through bloglines. LOVE the tutorial so I guess if I don't win I can always try and make one. :) Thanks for the chance!

    lorepuckett at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love it!! Thank you so much for the tutorial. I hope to win!!!

    britani_nunes@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this headband--so crafty!
    Would love for you to link up to my Headband Link party over at Little Miss Momma! Here's the link:
    http://littlemissmomma.blogspot.com/2010/09/headband-week-link-party-and-surprise.html

    ReplyDelete